Home/Recipe List
MaMaChineseCooking.com is a Chinese cooking recipe exchange and sharing site. Here, you can read recipes from others & share recipes with others. Browsing all recipes is free! Sharing your recipes & feedback on others' recipes is free as well. To post any comments or recipes, kindly email your postings to MaMaChineseCooking@gmail.com & MaMaChineseCooking@yahoo.com (send to both). Register to have featured recipes delivered to you via email from time to time.
  Log inLog in      SearchSearch    RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    About MaMaChineseCooking.comAbout   
Gong Bao Chicken/Kung Pao Chicken 宫保鸡丁/宫爆鸡丁
   Home/Recipe List -> Chicken 鸡肉
< Previous recipe/topic | Next recipe/topic >  
Author: Amy Chen
PostPosted: 08 May    Recipe/Title: Gong Bao Chicken/Kung Pao Chicken 宫保鸡丁/宫爆鸡丁

Official Secret Restaurant Recipes
  • KFC Original Recipe Chicken
  • Boston Market Meatloaf
  • Jack Daniel's BBQ Sauce
  • Olive Garden Lasagna
  • Junior's NY Cheesecake (As seen on TV)
  • And over 200 more famous secret recipes!

Gong Bao Chicken Recipe/Kung Pao Chicken Recipe 宫保鸡丁/宫爆鸡丁 食谱 - with step-by-step photos.

English Name : Gong Bao Chicken
Other English Names : Kung Pao Chicken, Kung Po Chicken, Kung Pow Chicken etc
Chinese Name : 宫保鸡丁 / 宫爆鸡丁
Traditional Chinese Name : 宮保雞丁, 宮爆雞丁, 宮保鷄丁, 宮爆鷄丁
Mandarin PinYin : gōng bǎo jī dīng (gong1 bao3 ji1 ding1), gōng bào jī dīng (gong1 bao4 ji1 ding1)
Cantonese PinYin (Yale) : gūng bóu gāi dīng (gung1 bou2 gai1 ding1)
Cantonese PinYin (Jyutping) : gung1 bou2 gai1 ding1

Gong Bao Chicken is another Chinese dish that is a favourite with ethnic Chinese as well as other nationalities. It is especially popular in the US and is on the menu of most Chinese restaurants there.

Its origin is from Sichuan, China, known for its spicy cuisine, and has taken on some slight variations through the years. Apart from dried red chilies or dried chili peppers which must be present, the dish can be prepared with peanuts or cashew nuts; spring onions (scallions); bombay onion (brown onion), and vegetables such as green peppers and okra. It’s all up to individual preference – as long as the, distinct feature of this cuisine - the hot, sour and sweet taste is not compromised.

Cooking wine is also an essential ingredient for this dish. The common wine used is glutinous rice wine. The closest substitute for it is dry sherry.

Gong Bao Chicken is really fairly quick and easy to prepare and I hope that with these step-by-step instructions and lovely images, everyone who wants to taste this dish, can cook it at home. You can also cook Gong Bao Beef, Gong Bao Shrimps and Gong Bao Fish Meat Slices, following the same ingredients and cooking method in this recipe.

Ingredients:
350g chicken breasts
12 dried red chillies/dried chili peppers
1 bombay onion /brown onion
40g/2Tbsp cashew nuts or peanuts (optional)
2 or 3 cloves garlic - minced
3 thin slices ginger - shredded
½ egg white – lightly beaten
2 Tbsp cornstarch
1/2 cup cooking oil

Marinating Ingredients for chicken:
½ tsp salt
½ tsp cooking wine

Seasoning Ingredients (mix together for sauce):
½ tsp cooking wine
¾ Tbsp vinegar
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 1/2 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp water

Preparation:
1.Cut the chicken into bite-sized cubes and marinate with the marinating ingredients.

2.Cut dried chillies into 2cm/0.8in lengths, shake off as much seeds as possible*, then wash and soak them for 30 minutes or till soft. Drain.

3.Wash and take out outer skin of bombay/brown onion and cut them cross-sectionally into 8 sections (6 if onion small). Loosen the sections roughly.

4.Rinse cashew nuts and drain off excess water.

Cooking:
1.First, the cashew nuts are fried by putting them in cold oil. Keep turning them as the oil gets hotter and to ensure even browning. Scoop up when they turn golden brown. If using peanuts, have them roasted beforehand.

2.Next, we fry the chicken. Mix the chicken pieces with the egg white. Add in the cornstarch and mix thoroughly. When the oil is ready, (use the chopsticks test)* put all the chicken in. (The oil is sufficient for shallow frying; if deep frying is preferred more oil is needed). Spread them out and let fry for 2 or 3 minutes before turning over to fry the other side. If deep frying, keep on turning till chicken browns. Dish out and drain excess oil.

3. Heat wok and put in 1Tablespoon of oil (may use the excess oil from frying the chicken), put in the garlic and ginger to fry for a few seconds. Then add the softened dried chillies and stir-fry for a minute or two.

4.Now add in the bombay/brown onion and continue to stir-fry for a short while.

5.Next, we put in the seasoning sauce, chicken and cashew nuts or peanuts and mix thoroughly.

6.Turn off heat as soon as it is well mixed. There should not be a lot of sauce/gravy - just a wee bit - just enough for the chicken pieces to be coated with it.

Notes:
*Note on dried chillies: I usually loosen the seeds in the chillies between my fingers before I cut them so that they will fall out easier. Wear kitchen gloves to handle dried chillies to prevent burning sensation on fingers.

*Note on chopsticks test: To test if the oil is hot enough for frying, hold a pair of bamboo chopsticks in the oil; and if bubbles cluster around the end of the chopsticks, the oil is ready.

*Note on cashew nuts: The dish tastes just as good with or without cashew nuts or peanuts.

Step-by-step Photos:

Ingredients from centre, clockwise: Dried chillies, chicken, bombay/brown onion, cashew nuts, garlic, ginger, seasoning sauce, egg white and cornstarch.

Putting the cashews into the cold oil and turning them till they brown, on low medium heat.

The cashew nuts fried to golden brown.

Frying the chicken till brown and aromatic.

Drain fried chicken pieces of excess oil in a colander.

Fry garlic and ginger in a tablespoon of oil (from frying the chicken) for a few seconds.

Put in the dried chillies to stir-fry for a minute or two.

Next, add the bombay/brown onion.

Put in the seasoning sauce. Mix well.

The chicken and cashews are put in and thoroughly mixed.

Gong Bao Chicken all ready and dished on to a serving plate.

Yummy! With a bowl of white rice or eaten on its own!

Last edited by Amy Chen on 17 Feb; edited 12 times in total

Comments / Feedback / Answers (You are welcome to post) :
Author: Cyn
PostPosted: 31 Jul    Recipe/Title:

I cooked this yesterday. It is fantastic. My husband loves it. Can you please post more recipe? I love your recipe. It's very easy to prepare, follow and cook. Have a nice day.
Author: BBQandRibs
PostPosted: 06 Sep    Recipe/Title: Cooking for a Crowd

I have been asked to cook a Chinese meal for a group of about 100. Are the receipes in this forum typically scaled for 4-6 servings? Do we have access to any recipes scaled for large groups?

Thanks!

Hal
PostPosted: 03 Oct    Recipe/Title: Gong Bao Chicken/Kung Pao Chicken 宫保鸡丁/宫爆鸡丁

Dear Cyn

Glad you find the recipe easy to follow. Yes, I'll post more recipes whenever I can - but remember this is a cooking and recipe exchange and sharing site, and you are welcome to post any of yours too. Do tell your friends about this site. Best regards.

Amy
PostPosted: 03 Oct    Recipe/Title: Cooking for a crowd

Hi BBQandRibs

Welcome to the site.

Yes, the recipes here are the normal 4 servings. I suppose they can easily be adapted for more servings by increasing the amount of ingredients accordingly. But go easy on the seasoning though - you may not need to multiply exactly the amount of sugar, salt and soy sauce.

Happy cooking!

Amy
Author: xiaomao
PostPosted: 22 Oct    Recipe/Title: Gong Bao by an American

I used Mirin as the marinade, and thai chili peppers because I couldn't find sichuan peppercorns or dried peppers. it still came out delicious.

I heard that there used to be a ban on the sichuan peppercorns coming to the us due to a tree fungus, but that the ban has been lifted. I am told tat the sichuan pepercorns cause a particular sensation in the mouth and have a flavour unlike any other peppercorns.

any comments about this?
PostPosted: 02 Nov    Recipe/Title:

Hi Xiaomao

Welcome to the site. Glad to know you tried Gong Bao Chicken and it turned out delicious despite using alternative ingredients.

I am not aware of the ban of the sichuan peppercorns to the US. The sichuan peppercorns do give a temporary numbing effect to the lips if taken in large doses. By the way, the Gong Bao Chicken recipe uses dried chili peppers not sichuan peppers.

Amy Chen
   Home/Recipe List -> Chicken 鸡肉
Page 1 of 1

Go to:  
Official Secret Restaurant Recipes
You can email the link to any recipe/page to your friend. Just use the form found at the bottom of every page.
All recipe contributions are welcome - with or without photos.
To contribute & share, simply email your recipes or comments to MaMaChineseCooking@gmail.com & MaMaChineseCooking@yahoo.com (send to both).
When you contribute recipes, you can inform us that you want to keep the copyright and we'll honour that. Write "Copyright © <year> <your name>" at the end of your recipe.